Sunday, January 8, 2012

Doodling with Snap Art

When Eric was here, we downloaded a program called Snap Art, which is an addon that goes into my PaintShop Pro program and manipulates images.  I'm terribly impressed with it and wanted show it off.

One of my favorite photos that I took at Sam and DeeWynn's wedding was of the old blacksmith shop on Ralph's farm.  Here is is.

Original
Watercolor effect
Pointillism
The comic book treatment
Colored Pencils
Oil paints - I think this may be my favorite
Pastels
Watercolor - this is my second favorite

Stylized - I do like this as well
  
I thought I'd see if I could play with a portrait and come up with something I liked.  The picture below is of Kirsten, our neice.  She has an expressive face with strong features and couldn't take a bad picture if she tried.  In all the pictures I've seen her in, she owns the photo, no matter who else was captured by the lens.

This is the original photo - she must have been at some function
where she was required to wear a nametag.
I first removed the nametag, then in Art Shop I added an impasto effect 
Here I've added a duplicate layer and multiplied the
 image onto the original. It creates a more dynamic picture

I wanted more purples and oranges, so I added a couple more
layers; recolored; played with contrast and transparencies.
At that point, the doorframe and light highlight behind her
became as bright as her face, so I simple cropped down the
photo.  It has a sort of chiaroscuro quality I love.

Hope you've enjoyed this little tour through my graphics program today :)  For more on chiaroscuro, follow this handy and finely-crafted link.


1 comment:

  1. I didn't know there was a computer program that could do all that!! Wonder when they will be able to manipulate sculpture too. ohhh they already can ...there are 3-D copiers now!!! lol
    Like you I liked the watercolor and oil best...

    ReplyDelete