Sunday, July 15, 2012

Silly Boats 1

Nanaimo is not very concerned about how stately she looks or that she's holding her pinky up when she sips her afternoon tea with the other island ladies. No, she's more likely to be in a bar, laughing it up with the gang ... or even dancing on tables. She doesn't take herself too seriously.



Witness the annual zaniness that is the Silly Boat Regatta.  Held the weekend after the dragonboat festival, teams of four bring all their tools down to the shoreline and frenetically begin building boats to sail.  Teams are arranged in heats and they're off to ply the waters in front of Swy-a-lana Lagoon in an attempt (some vain) to cross the finish line.  All members of the team must be on board at the start and finish, a feat that isn't always accomplished.



I wasn't able to get a lot of water pictures since I'm short and the crowds along the walkways and docks were already deep.  But I did get a few shots to share with you.

Everyone gets into the pirate theme
I'm putting my money on this one not making it to the finish line.
I wish I'd snapped this half a second later.   That young lady on the left executed a perfect handstand.
Harr, matey!

A new type of dragon boat, perhaps?

This one wins the "pink" award
Not thinking this one is a floater, either.

Havin' fun and headin' to Liberia!

They seem a bit perplexed over whether this plane will fly

The Arcade Fiends boat certainly had a theme going.

This one was pretty plain jane except for the oversize Canadian flag lying flat because of the wind.
Not sure how much chance this one has

The captains chair *is* the most important, yes?

Teachers getting into the spirit

This team had some colorful characters

As I was adjusting this prior to posting, I said "hey, I know that woman!"  She's one of my dragon boat crew.
I didn't see her at the time though .. >.<  .. hi Brenda!
Teams line up for the first heat


Race officials head out aboard The Bathtub
  





No comments:

Post a Comment