Saturday, August 20, 2011

The best spot in the garden

Yesterday, we enjoyed an afternoon of visiting with Jon and Michelle who had simply hopped in their car and driven to Nanaimo on a whim.  The day was glorious .. it reeked of summer vacation ... a gentle breeze that picked up a bit later on, hot sun and a hint of ocean.

While I was sitting there, my nose picked up a fragrance that I'd been waiting to smell for a couple of weeks. The Casablanca lily was in bloom, so I excused myself from my guests and stole a few minutes in the garden with my camera.  I love these lilies .. not for their color, but the smell ... not only can they fill your house with the smell of flowers in a cut bouquet, but an entire yard.  On a still day, you can smell them throughout a neighborhood.  Now that's a flower that gives and gives.


The tiger lily, on the on the other hand is a spectacular flower that cannot complete for smell, but for pure showiness, it can't be beat.  Actually, these are not tiger lilies, but a trumpet lily that reminded me so much of my beloved childhood flower that I couldn't resist the bulbs last year.


Tucked in behind the casablanca lily, they make a stunning display together and my favorite part of the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment