Friday, November 11, 2011

I was standing upstairs, peering into cupboard and fridge, taking inventory counts and making lists in preparation for a pre-weekend trip to the grocery store.  I refuse to shop on the weekend anymore.  I remember that hell and how grouchy it made me ... so impatient with the blue-haired ladies who want to block an aisle with their carts while they catch up on the latest in their respective families.  I'm pretty sure all those working people out there appreciate me not being another clog in the aisle as they hurry about the insane amount of ordinary everyday stuff they need to cram into two whole days off.

I chanced to look distractedly out the window and thought to myself, "now that looks like an Alberta sky."  And since that was something that had never before crossed my mind .. that skies in different areas could have completely different temperaments and familial characteristics ... I walked over to the window to actively note the differences.

What I saw was a massive bulbous black sky, bright white clouds like ghosts fleeing in fright before the inky contortions behind them, their mouths extended in screams of horror, robes shredded by the winds as they ran.  The winds picked up and hurled bright sunshine and my neighbor's oak leaves across my balcony in vortexes of frightened Autumn.  My own forest pansy bent before the wind and gave up its crown of glory in seconds.  On the lower deck, the large pot of bamboo paid obeisance to Mother Nature.

And then ... then it did something I've never seen in six years of living here.  It hailed. Oh, not golf ball sized car bodywork hail, just pellets slashing down, bouncing from the patio.  It was exciting.

Now, half an hour later, the power flickers occasionally, but doesn't look like it will fail.  The skies are returning to their normal grey upon grey upon grey.  Or is that gray on gray on gray?  Never quite sure of that word.

Anyway, here are my pics.   Enjoy ... while I hit the grocery store.

Focus is a bit shaky here.  I was shivering.  LOL .. I really have become a British Columbian.
Taken through my office window .. you can see the screen pattern.
Forest Pansy .. this morning
Forest Pansy now.
Through it all, the Japanese maple stood and glowed!

No comments:

Post a Comment