Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Things I Discovered Yesterday

I've been stumbling about the interwebs the last few days, looking at graphic novels, novelists and other what-not that captures my fancy. You might argue that I've not gone much done as a result, but I'd counter with .. I got a lot of stumbling done.  Here, in no particular order is some of that stuff.

Neil Gaiman, whose work I'm only now coming to appreciate, is a long time dectractor of Todd McFarlane, whom I happen to like from a "home town boy makes good" angle.  Now, this is ooooooold news to those of you who know who those two are.  Apparently, it stems from a time when they collaborated on something.  In the case of these two, the argument or lawsuit is not important, but the participants are on my radar for separate reasons.

Click this masthead to take you to Neil Gaiman's site

Neil Gaiman's Coraline was up for best animated picture last year.  His graphic novels of Sandman helped redefine and coalesce interest in the flagging genre.  He's a real believer in the future of online and audio books.

Click jersey for link
Todd McFarlane was born and came of age in Calgary, although he did spend some years Stateside.  You may have seen his work and not realized it was his ... Superman, Spiderman and his flagship title, The Spawn, created after he broke away from Marvel Comics and formed Image Comics.

You might also recognize this jersey, from the decade that Todd spent as partial owner of the Edmonton Oilers.

To move on to another graphic novelist, which is what I did, Frank Miller is the author of "300," a film you'll remember for the line 'THIS IS SPARTA!!" if nothing else.


If you're having a bad day and you're a somewhat well known figure, maybe you should just shut up ... instead of getting online and unclenching your balled fists long enough to stab your anger through your fingers into the keys and thus, onto the screen.  At least, I'm attributing this vitriolic rant by Frank Miller to be the result of  a bad day; a bad day which has gone viral, at least within literary circles.  Please don't think I'm against Mr. Millar having an opinion, but the name calling is poor judgement and not even creatively done.  I'm not sure which is the bigger crime, being angry and online (which is akin to drunk dialing in my opinion) or being angry, an author of some repute, online and communicating badly.

I confess that the "Occupy X" movement is a bit beyond my scope, not being a person who drives or walks by them daily or even someone who watches a ton of news.  But I get that they are trying to make change in a bumbling, pacifistic sort of way.  I recall that people of Mr. Miller's generation did the same thing with their college and university sit-ins .. and places other than campuses. There was draft-card burning in the States that went hand in hand as I recall ... it was a the beginning of the tide that eventually changed a nation.  And it started with people merely sitting.  Whether or not Occupy X is the beginning of a groundswell or fizzles out as an idea that never really went anywhere, only time will tell.

Now, author David Brin .. and you should recognize that illustrious name as writer of The Uplift  War, has taken exception to Mr. Miller's blog commentary.  So he responds.  And zomg ... he demonstrates the epitome of outrage so eloquently that you become interested in the subject if only for the education you receive.


 So there you have it.  Yesterday, I learned about wars of the internet kind .. and the Grecian kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment