Friday, April 22, 2011

Bowen Park

I didn't have my camera on the day we walked Piper's Lagoon beside the ocean, which is too bad because the water sparkled like mad.  Crazy wind and unsteady rocky footing made for challenging walking .. my legs sure felt the workout.  I promise you pictures next time we're there.

The next day . the 19th .. we went to Bowen Park, thinking to take it a bit easier.  We knew the pathways would be wider and better maintained and it didn't disappoint.  It did, however, give us a chance to really get out and move.  Our normal chat was punctuated heavily with gasps for air.  Pungent air.  I have now been introduced to Skunk Cabbage and even though I could forego a prolonged acquaintance with it, it did provide a nice margin for the webpost today.  Now that's how to make lemonade from lemons!

Bowen Park is one of the two major city parks, well maintained by the Nanaimo Parks people.  The first year I was here, I coached a dragon boat team from the City and one of the ladies of The Wave Babes designed all the flower beds for the parks throughout the city.  I'm still impressed. 

Speaking of dragon boats, I will be involved with KVL Kruisers again this year, although not paddling with Bastion Dragons.  I'm hoping to get some more outrigger time on the water with Bruce and his Huliguns.  I'll be designing a weblog for them as well, so I'll be sure to post you a link for that in case you care to peek at it.

Here's some more pictures from the Bowen Park excursion.

The stream wended its way around rock, through trees and brush,
past roads, and under bridges both manmade and natural.

The Mirkwood springs to life.  This pathway totally reminded me of a Tolkein forest
with its graspy bony fingers reaching for unwary travellers.


My favorite shot of the day.  Click to open and enjoy a larger size.
This is just upstream from the waterfall above, which is formed on the left side of this photograph



1 comment:

  1. Holy smokes, that shot of the stump in the water above the waterfall turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete