Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Flowers to the left of me, flowers to the right ..

Dragonflies droned high above the foliage this morning, providing aerial cover for the butterfly flitting through the yard and bees caroming happily between the double mock orange and impatiens.  The baby robins are in flight training and mama is keeping busy looking for food.  All the birds were warbling tributes to the sun.  

My yard provides some real action out there for the little creatures, albeit mostly out of my sight.  Yet, I did get a really good look at the family of little critters who'd invaded my pile of two-week leftover clippings as they prepared to make it into compost and Bruce prepared to bundle it for take away.  I could have done without the sight of wiggling and crawling beasties, although I do appreciate their work.

The gazing ball sparkled behind the dazzle of the upper hedge

Today we finally moved the last plants of the spring, which is good summer became official at noon. Now we settle into the routine of watering and weeding. I have a trusty hoe which I have decided is my favorite garden tool. I may have to paint the handle in appreciation.

This is the view to the left of the lower steps with the mock orange and dogwood.

And to the right .. the mock orange takes the stage against the curtain of the Japanese elm.

I spent a few minutes talking to my Dad on Sunday .. he was in the middle of fixing one of the trucks to get it field worthy .. was checking lights and brakes and stuff before taking it into town. He and Dorothy have been out trimming and mowing the farm yards, taking down fences and replacing riding mowers. All in all, he's a happy man. Nice to see.

We trimmed back the butterfly bush and this beauty appeared into the light of day.
Not sure what its named, but I'm going to get some more.  Wowza!
Around the house, you'll find our windows open more often than not, welcoming in the breezes off the Georgia Strait. Sadly, this freshness hasn't translated into more housework being done. Although, in my defense, I did get a few batches of blankets through the washer and dryer yesterday. Maybe even a load of towels today .. you can see my ambition in the household chores is simply boundless!

More painted pots; this time out front.  I'll grab a picture later in the season when those
white flowers are really doing their stuff
I've been out on the water a couple of times a week with the Kruisers, working on developing our timing to the point where we'll be an effective group on the water. For the first time, we're looking at taking in a festival outside of Nanaimo later in the year. I'm pretty excited about it.

The back gate showing how all that campanula will look when it's had a couple of years to spread.  I hope.

I've started a six-week program at a nearby fitness facility, hoping to get me back into moving my body and incorporating some excercise daily. The trick for me is to find some time daily to get on that bike. Which I should be doing right now .. so ... ta ta.  Enjoy the sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment