Friday, August 31, 2012

I Want to Show You Something

There are certain words that cause trepidation among spouses, a trigger for what you fear in your bones will just not have a happy outcome.  In our house, its "Hey, can you come here?  I want to show you something."

Pretty innocent sounding, right?  But its often followed up by a finger pointing at the garbage you forgot to take out, even though you were in the middle of it and something else just took your attention away ... paint that got spilled ... a toothpaste tube squeezed in the wrong spot ... something that was left out and the cats played with.  All causes for a finger-wagging at the very least.

In the latest case of "I want to show you something," Bruce brought me out to the balcony and handed me a pair of binoculars.  This is unusual.  Normally, whatever the big show, it's within touching distance.  Bruce asked me if that tree had always looked that way .. and pointed at the dogwood.  Now, if you've been following my blog, you know I've taken a gazillion pictures of that tree this year.  Spectacular is a word I think I've used more than once.  So yea .. I was familiar with it.

However, what he was most concerned about was something I'd not seen before that point in time .. and it caused a great deal of consternation for the pair of us for the next hour as we determined what it was and how we'd deal with it.  Not just "it" as it turns out .. we have a pair on the property.



The one in the dogwood is about the size of a volleyball and sits high in the tree over the birdbath.  The second is the size of Bruce's fist and is waaaaay up in the eaves.

So today, the exterminators came with their ladders and spray gunk and took care of things for us.

Neumans:  2 .. Hornets:  0 .. Exterminators:  $100.

Best $100 I've spent in a long time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment