Monday, September 6, 2010

Damn garages keep moving!

For those of you who know me .. and that should be all of you, thankfully, you'll probably remember the day the garage in Calgary jumped in front of me as I was parking my three week old Intrepid.  And how I spent $1300 repairing the side of my car.  I want you to know I've spent many years in therapy to deal with the mockery you all continue to heap upon me over this eensy teensy little issue.

Alas, if that were the end of it.  I fear I'm about to give you even more fodder to chew.

In June, Bruce was forced to take a business trip to Alberta in order to deal with some financial issues.  It wasn't the greatest of times .. he's been having back issues this year because of a pinched nerve ... but it needed to be done if we were to establish a proper setup in Alberta as well as BC.  We decided he'd take my car because the cloth seats offered more comfort than his PT Cruiser.  While he was there he managed to sneak in a dragon boat festival in Lethbridge with our old team, The Waverunners, so it wasn't a trip totally devoid of fun.

His PT Cruiser was in my charge for the week he was gone.  Now, you all know that Bruce loves his PT Cruiser and I've seen him be completely irrational (yes, I said it Bruce .. completely) over a smallish bruise to the skin of the cruiser when it was newer.

So the day I walked around the corner of the house to go coach a dragon boat practice ... to find the PT Cruiser buried head first in the garage door .. well a lot of things ran through my mind.  Most of which started and ended with "Bruce is gonna kill me."  Then I crapped myself over not setting the parking break.  I looked into the car .. and whew, it was still set.

In Calgary, I drove a Daytona stick shift .. in all those years, I never parked the car in gear unless the situation was extremely hilly.  I'd normally just kick the car into neutral, set the emergency break and be off on my merry way.  This was necessary for the Command Start to work in the winter.

Bruce has a much firmer hand with his parking break than I can usually deal with.  I often have to ask him to come unset the brake if I want to take his PT Cruiser. Well, it would seem that the cables have become stretched .. and when I walked away from the car that bright sunny day, I set in motion another epic Neuman tale.  The driveway is an incline and the car slowly rolled down the hill and pushed into the garage door so slowly I never heard a noise.

So .. damage done .. I had to pull the car back and see how Bruce's baby was.  And .. omg .. not a mark on it.   The push had been so slow that the only scuff marks were on the leading edge of the vehicle .. which happened to be the license plate.

So that was a pretty long-winded story ... don't you love the new garage door?  Me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment