Wednesday, September 22, 2010

They make me smile

This has been the year of the dentist for me.  I don't think it's a particular secret that I have an aversion to dentists .. not because I think they are maniacs with a penchant for stressing people with their long, pointy, sharp needles.  No, not at all.  Actually, the ones I've met are mostly nice professionals you never get to really know because they're all business when you're in the chair.  And let's face it .. the chance for intelligent discourse is somewhat limited when you've got a half a dozen instruments in your mouth trying to tame your tongue.

Since Calgary when my last dentist (that I'll claim was 'my' dentist, that is) struggled to get freezing into my mouth, I've known that this has been my issue with dentists all along.  My bottom jaw simply doesn't freeze and most of those needle-wielding maniacs in my past have simply gone ahead and worked on my mouth live.

My experience in Nanaimo with dentists had not been all that economical.  I had one person give me an estimate for $10,000 to deal with ONE TOOTH.  Okay, caps lock off  now - I've calmed down.  The same person sent me to a periodontist who was also going to treat me like I live on the rich side of the tracks.  I didn't go back to either of them.


It was rather no surprise then that I found my way to Dr. Heather Chisholm as the result of a pounding toothache three days in the making.  A year before then, however, I'd been sitting in a waiting room one day when I saw an article for her in a magazine.  The thing that sparked my attention enough to rip that page out of the magazine (yes, I'm one of those people) is that Dr. Chisholm actually teaches the fine art of freezing to aspiring dentists.  I popped that ad up on the side of the fridge and left it there, waiting for 'the day.'

Having dealt with my immediate issue, Dr. Chisholm and her team of laughing co-conspirators have managed to get me, over the course of this summer, to actually look forward to my dental appointments.  The Jessicas are an infectious team of dental do-gooders who keep Heather on track.  At one point, upon pulling my wisdom tooth on a day when both were absent, Dr. Chisholm giggled and commented how proud the Jessicas would be that she could pull a tooth without their help.  The dental hygenist, Joan, has been amazing .. she has me believing in the power of floss.  She should take up the pulpit ... I'd donate to the Church of Joan.

No comments:

Post a Comment