Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Peach of a Guy

My buddy Chris was off at a dragon boat race in Penticton a week ago and I twisted his arm to bring me back half a dozen peaches if he could.

Peaches were always one of those fruits I could take or leave.  I liked the flavour, but the fuzzy peach skin was a deal-breaker and peeling them, if you've tried it .. is a messy business much akin to what happens when you leave a small child unattended in high chair with banana or a bowl of cheerios and milk.

Then one year for a dragon boat festival, the Waverunners rented a house together in Kelowna. It was the year after the big fires ... there was construction all around.  Our host had some interesting stories to share and amazing pictures of the fire - it had jumped over his house and burned down the ones in front and back.  This was his first year renting the house and he was quite keen to receive positive feedback for future rentals.

The kitchen was amazingly equipped and center stage on the huge island was a humongous bowl of peaches so fragrant and ripe that you caught their whiff across the room.  So I yielded to that temptation and .. fell  head over heels in love with a fruit.   Each year now, I eagerly scour my grocery store hoping to find fresh Okanagan peaches in August.  However, its not the same as buying fresh from a roadside Okanagan stand, however rmuch better they are than the usual California variety.

So when Chris told me he was going to Penticton in September, I wasted no time in bargaining for space for a half dozen peaches on the way back.  Some of them got kinda banged up on the way home, so I made them into a peach crisp.  And enjoyed the unblemished ones as much as that day back in Kelowna.


Thank you Chris :D

No comments:

Post a Comment