Thursday, October 21, 2010

Autumn Fog

A shrill and insisting blaring shot me bolt upright at 9:00 am this morning ... turns out that Mr. Neuman needs to retake the Toast 10 class and do remedial work on basic browning techniques.  So I drifted back to sleep and woke up to something other than my normal fog - which can be quite extensive until the morning cup of tea is on the way and my eyes start functioning again.  Tell me, Larry, does that get any better as you get older?  *grin* (gonna pay for that one, I'm sure)

Anyway .. I love fog.  Always have.  Maybe because fog is so rare in Alberta.  I remember walking up the hill to the fields with Laddie on the occasional heavily fog saturated autumn afternoon to bring in the cows for the evening milking - the wet smulch of leaves underfoot, the crisp smell of brightly colored wet woods all around, the hush of the world, like it was holding its breath waiting for that first blazing spear of sunlight to pierce the bubble and return to reality.  The stalwart friendliness of my sable and white collie was important to this scene as he provided safety against the damp boogey men lingering twixt the trees.  He was so brave, he'd take on anything ... and man, he loved bringing in the cows - it was his chance to really shine. 

From my back deck taken around noon
During our first October here, we had five solid days of heavy, heavy fog .. the locals were dismayed, but I loved it.

A close up of the same shot ... I may have to use this for a website header one month. 
Same vantage point, different direction.  Note all the wires.  Took me a bit to get used to seeing them here
... in Alberta, wires are all buried.  Here, it often takes blasting to dig out a construction site.
I'll try to grab a picture of that for you construction readers.

I'll have to admit the Autumn colors here are magnificent. There's a view or two of Rutherford Road I want to share with you ... I'm waiting for the right day to take pictures.  Both of these areas have year round interest and color and I'm simply amazed at how well the developers did their jobs 'back in the day.'

These next couple of shots are the back of The Longwood Brew Pub ... its what we see everytime we go for mail or groceries.


No comments:

Post a Comment