Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Garden friends

Since I've asked him to record the various birds in our garden, Bruce has taken an avid interest in my camera and can make it perform tricks I hope he'll teach me.  I generally see my camera perched on the top of a tripod these days and that pleases me greatly.  

Note:  I've included links for the songs of these birds.  They may take a minute or two to load.

He's taken some pretty good shots of our avian visitors.  This first is an American Robin.  This guy is sitting on top of a rhododendron in the pouring rain, fluffed up to keep warm.  Here's how he sounds.

American Robin
When Bruce told me we had chickadees in our yard, I was skeptical. I hadn't heard the call I learned to mimic as a child on our Alberta farm, nor had I seen anything that looked to me like a 'real' chickadee with polka-dot wings.  I still haven't heard them sing, but Bruce captured this guy noshing from the suet feeder.

Here's a link for chickadee bird calls.  The one I remember is the second one, our little guy is down the list a bit farther.  Both are beautiful songs.  Note Bruce's handiwork on providing a perch for the suet feeder. Garden twist ties have so many uses!

Chestnut-Backed Chickadee
The last of today's trio is a white-crowned sparrow who adds this note to the garden orchestra.  You might recognize that branch as the favorite place of our hummingbird .. seems to be a good vantage point for all.

White-Crowned Sparrow

No comments:

Post a Comment